Saturday, May 21, 2011

Camping Out (To Lunch)

The end is here. Let's hope ...

By that I mean, the end of any shred of credibility that the likes of Harold Camping might have among those who take the Bible and the Christian faith as a serious description of reality that is worth thinking about.

You don't need to go any further than Harold Camping's "mathematical calculation" of the date of the rapture (and the ensuing end of the world) to see the ridiculousness in his thinking. Here is how he came up with the date of May 21, 2011:
  1. The number 5 equals "atonement," the number 10 equals "completeness," and the number 17 equals "heaven."
  2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD.
  3. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.
  4. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.
  5. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.
  6. 51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.
  7. (5 × 10 × 17)2 or (atonement × completeness × heaven)2 also equals 722,500.
  8. Thus, Camping concludes that 5 × 10 × 17 is telling us a "story from the time Christ made payment for our sins until we're completely saved."
Got it?

As I write this, the enormous earthquake that was supposed to kick this whole thing off this morning (Eastern time in the USA) didn't happen. No one has "disappeared" and Harold Camping is no doubt sitting in his office with a calculator and a Bible scratching his head about where he got the numbers wrong ... for the NINTH time in his career.

Why anyone has ever taken this guy seriously is beyond me. Harold Camping can believe whatever he wants to believe. But I pray that he will admit that he was wrong (again), and ask thinking Christians and non-Christians to forgive him for leading people astray.

If not, I hope he will at least desist with the nonsense, fulfill his own "prophecy" for the rest of us ... and just go away.

4 comments:

  1. While I do look forward to being with Christ someday, God willing, I agree, people such as Mr. Camping through fear into the mix. Yes we should fear (respect) God, but everthing I have ever heard in church and read in the bible to me says that the Lord does not want "anyone" to perish and in these past few weeks, all you heard from this guy's followers is that only a select few have been saved and asI read it, all of us in organized religion were not. I may be in an organized religion but I know Jesus Christ and follow him, not what my priest tells me, but I also know that there will be those who will never believe and accept him. I am not one of them. Maybe we should take this to remember our christianity when it says that the Lord will come like a thief in the night, no one will know and let's try to pick up his cross and follow him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "math" reminds me that years ago I did a math exercise in the Reader's Digest to determine the name of my future wife. After following all the math gyrations in great detail I came up with the answer. And you know what, it turned out to be absolutely true. The correct answer was........wait for it......."Mrs. Cole"!!! showing that we can get to any answer we have on our minds to arrive at. I'm sure Mr. Camping will so some "refigurin'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The number of days from April 1 to May 21 is 50, not 51. Camping can't even count, let alone do "math."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now come on folks. Let's not be too hard on Camping's math acumen or the o buoys abuses of math that people have used to engage their followers (ever listened to Louis Farrakhan ... Wow!).

    A week later, we learn that Camping actually says he was right ... In a "spiritual sense" of course ... and that October 21st will still be THE END.

    Stay tuned for more updates sponsored by the number 722,500!

    ReplyDelete

Though I do not moderate comments, I reserve the right to delete any comment that I deem inappropriate. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't tolerate abusive or objectionable language of any kind.