Thursday, June 17, 2010

In His Image

I have been a subscriber to National Review for about 20 years. I read it cover-to-cover every two weeks but must admit I don't pay much attention to the sidebar poetry the magazine sometimes adds to its pages. But, for some reason, I was flipping through an old issue (just before I was getting ready to throw it away) and my eye was caught by the title of the poem I share below.

I'm not much into poetry but this short, sweet little gem is a keeper so I thought I would share it. Enjoy ...


THE IMAGE

In shops, on streets, in random places
A light within me lights these faces.

I see them glance, and hear, and nod,
And each face is a word of God.

Briefly and casually He talks,
For all the language in His stock.

But this is Him: that eyes are eyes,
That flesh is flesh is His disguise

And His alone. What is so fine
And costly can't be yours or mine.

~ Sarah Ruden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though I do not moderate comments, I reserve the right to delete any comment that I deem inappropriate. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't tolerate abusive or objectionable language of any kind.