Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Throttling Back

There are times when one has to recognize his own limitations ... and I've just arrived at one of mine.

Keeping a blog active and up-to-date is not an easy task. It is time consuming and challenging to continue to come up with something interesting to say and to then take the time to put the right words on paper (or computer screen). Because I am a notoriously slow writer, the time element gets multiplied for me. I need more of it.

In aviation, when things get complicated during an emergency, one of the most important things I can do is pull the throttle back, slow down, and "create more time" to analyze and deal with the situation in which I find myself. It allows me to think more clearly, act more deliberately, and get things right. I think that applies to me here.

In my quest to expand my apologetics ministry, I have begun to be more proactive about getting "out there" to try to have whatever kind of impact I can. This includes speaking, writing and teaching. Each of these are time consuming activities. I am scheduled for a weeklong trip to Korea with the Life Training Institute in October. I have been asked to write articles for a couple of magazines, teach some classes, and speak at a few events this coming fall. I am also attempting to commit myself to finish a book idea I started several years ago (in my mind) but have never even come close to completing.

Each of these is important to me but none are nearly as important as my role as a husband and father.

As a result, I need to throttle back and create some time. Unfortunately, that means the blog has to take a backseat for a while.

I will continue to post tidbits, links to other bloggers I trust and admire, and throw a few of my own posts in when I feel the urge. But the upshot is that my activity here will be greatly reduced over the next several months. I have no delusions that this change of plans will greatly impact anyone else's life. Just thought I would let it be known. For those who have followed me here, thank you for taking the time to listen to me rant. I sincerely appreciate it.

I'm not going away ... slowing down a bit so I can think more clearly and concentrate on the important stuff. Thanks for understanding.

3 comments:

  1. "He who stops to sharpen his saw wastes no time."

    I pray all goes well as you seek first things first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian ... and thanks for all the work you do. How you keep that Apologetics315 blog so full of new, useful information is beyond me ... it's an inspiration.

    I'll be sending folks your way often.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain, Bob. I'll be praying for Korea, the book, and all. And I'll still check in here every week or so. Thanks for all you do.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Though I do not moderate comments, I reserve the right to delete any comment that I deem inappropriate. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't tolerate abusive or objectionable language of any kind.