Friday, December 11, 2009

Star Power

I don't know about you, but ever since I was a kid, I have always looked a little skeptically at some aspects of the Christmas story we are all familiar with. In particular, I have always wondered how it was that a star could just pop into the sky and lead the "wise men" to find the baby Jesus in a manger in Bethlehem. It always seemed a little suspicious to me. Now, I know God can work miraculously and do anything He wants to do but come on, the star seemed to be a bit much. Surely the story of the Star had all the qualities of a man-made fairy tale.

Not anymore.

For anyone who has any interest in the interconnectedness of history, science and Biblical truth, I highly recommend you check out a booklet and DVD presentation that makes a fascinating case for the reality of the Star of Bethlehem.

The The Star of Bethlehem (produced by Frederick A. Larson) is an amazing piece of work that is built on the following premise:
" ... the Bible [makes] a surprising number of references to signs in the heavens. Both Old and New Testaments assume that what happens up there matters. If we are interested in following the counsel of the Bible, we must hold a distinction in mind. Astrology assumes that stars are causes of earthly events. The Bible assumes that they can be messages about earthly events. It may be useful to think of this as a thermometer distinction. A thermometer can tell you if it's hot or cold, but it can't make you hot or cold. There is a big difference between a sign and an active agent. This is the difference between "astrology" and what the Bible holds forth."
Larson proceeds to go into breathtaking detail about the facts of history, combined with the technological capability we have to reproduce the place of objects on any date in history, to show that the Star of Bethlehem need not be thought of as a fairy tale anymore. In fact, Larson connects astronomy, not just to the Star of Bethlehem, but to the Cross of Calvary.

I won't spoil it here but I highly recommend this as a way for your family to approach the Christmas season with an inspiring look at another reason to hold confidence not only in the words of the Bible, but in the reality and Truth of the Christian view of the world.

You can check out a synopsis of the production at the link above and you can order it here.

Enjoy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though I do not moderate comments, I reserve the right to delete any comment that I deem inappropriate. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't tolerate abusive or objectionable language of any kind.